Friday, March 8, 2013

10 days.

It was around 4:30 on February 26th when I got the call.
You know... THE CALL. The call that went something like this:

Social Worker: "Mrs. Houston, do you remember the 3 little boys that you had your home study (reviewed for)....."
Me: YES. YES I REMEMBER.
Social Worker: "Well, something fell through with the other family that was chosen for placement and we need to place them tonight... are you still...."
Me: YESS!! YES we are!!!!
Social Worker: "Great! They will be there tonight."


At the time that I got the call one of my dearest friends, Heather, was in the car with me. I was actually picking her family up from their house to take them home with me for the night so I could take them to the airport the next morning. They were moving to Ohio. I was a wee bit emotional bc I did NOT want them leaving me. You see, she's been with me through this whole process. She's listened to me cry... and listened to me vent... and prayed me through the whole thing. Her leaving was not sitting well with me. Heather and I had JUST been talking about when our adoption goes further, that she would be coming back. It's crazy how the Lord works. I'm so grateful that she was there for this phonecall - I'm so thankful to have been able to share that moment with her.

If you know Heather - you know that she is always prepared, always collected, always very level headed. On the other hand, I'm usually the overly excited one, the crier... etc.

After "We" got the call, I was SO excited!!  ...but I didn't cry. I immediately switched into "we have to get ready" mode... and Heather cried FOR me. It was literally like she was having every emotion that I was. That's a friend right there, y'all.  In retrospect, I think it was the Lord that gave us a brief personality switch. I didn't have time to do anything but prepare.

We were told that we had about 3 hours to get our guestroom/studio room transformed into a little boy bedroom. I called a friend that kept her store open long enough for me to get there and buy beds and mattresses while George and Clay (Heather's hubby) disassembled our guestroom & assembled our crib.

I purchased bedding a while back for Raleigh's room, but I never used it since I decided that I liked what he has now. So we had that already.

Heather (who is 8 months pregnant by the way) & I also made several stops around town to buy pictures for the walls, pillows for the cases, stuffed animals for their beds, blankets, lamps, sheets, etc. It's crazy now to think about how fast we pulled that room together! I even upholstered one of those headboards that day.

Please excuse the iphone photo - Also, There's a crib on the left wall that isn't pictured.
It was a whirlwind of an afternoon - but I was peaceful. I knew it was going to come together. It did - It always does. I think the only thing that went wrong was the roast that I forgot was in the oven. But, it wasn't lost - just the potatoes were. :)

Heather and Clay ended up spending the night with my mother-in-law that night after dinner b/c we no longer had anywhere to sleep them & we didn't want to confuse the boys with any more people in the house than necessary.

Around 9:00 I kissed SJ & Raleigh goodnight for the last time as my only children. It was bittersweet.

And then we sat on the couch and waited on our lives to change forever.

It was 10:40 when their car pulled up. We met them in the driveway. They were asleep in the backseat. Three beautiful boys.

Just like that. There they were.

My boys. Ages 4, 3, & 2.

C, T, & J.

I knew the first time I saw their faces that they were my boys. (I wish I could share their sweet names and faces with the internet, but I just can't until the paperwork is final --- probably about 6 months).

When I was e-mailed their picture back in December I set it as the lock screen on my phone. When our home study wasn't chosen as their forever family - I was crushed. But, I was happy to know that they were going to be in a loving forever home - even if it wasn't ours. However, I never took their photo off of my lock screen. I just couldn't. Even when our study was being reviewed for other children. Even after I was told they were on track for adoption with the other family. I Never took it off.  For weeks, George would say "you have GOT to take that photo off of your screen - you are just torturing yourself..." and I never did. In fact, 11 days ago (the Monday before the Tuesday that we got the call) he had said to me "If you don't take that picture off of your screen - I will." - My response was "I just can't take it off. I pray for those boys' happiness every time I look at that picture. Something just won't let me remove it."

Now I know.

"Something" was the Lord. I don't know why I am always so suprised when he works like that.

When we got them out of the car, we brought them inside and sat with them in our living room. We had a few diapers to change & then we moved to the playroom once everyone woke up a bit.

C was very stand-off-ish at first (as to be expected)... but warmed up a bit when he saw that I had tractor toys. He loves tractors.

When C started to talk & play, T & J kinda warmed up too.

They mentioned that they were hungry, so we cut up some fruit while the social workers snuck out. (So thankful for our sweet friends that brought over groceries!!).

During our fruit snack, we (and by "we" I mean, C & me) talked about his favorite color and things that he likes...

When I found out his favorite color was blue, I told him his room had blue in it & he couldn't wait to get up to see it.

He was excited - but still very confused and very sad.

My heart hurts to think about that first night there, compared to now.

After pajamas and a bedtime story we tucked three sleepy boys into bed and they were asleep in no time.

The next morning I put Heather on the plane to Ohio & I was back home before sunrise.

The next day was flooded with question about where they were, how long they had to stay, when they got to go home, etc. It was tough. Tough questions. With no answers that he wanted to hear.

I just responded with "I'm hoping you stay here for a very long time" & "I really like you, I'm so glad you guys are here" etc.

In his last home he thought he was going to stay there forever - so I am very careful to not say that so he doesn't start to think that he is going to have to leave. Instead, we make long term plans... the beach, Disney World, Halloween, Christmas, etc. So hopefully he can put together that we want him here for the long run.

After a few days, the questions stopped & he started referrring to "My house" as "Our house" & "my kid" as his "new brother."

Everyday it gets a little easier.

Earlier this week we had a meeting with the social worker to discuss the details.. Let me tell you! For years I have heard that the waiting is the hardest part. That, my friends, is NOT true. Not even close.

The waiting is hard. HARD. No doubt about that...

But reading their child life histories is HARDER. (Their child life histories are all of the records that dfacs has) It's gut wrenching hard. I won't ever go into detail about what I read in their studies with anyone, but you should know that it was awful. I knew these boys were really & truly mine when I was reading those and I felt sick. to. my. stomach. Like those things had happened to me. I couldn't stop the tears or my hands from shaking & I knew that very minute that I would spend the rest of my life making sure that no unhealthy harm EVER came to them again. I'm talking guarding these babies with my life, y'all.  They are mine.

The last 10 days have been eventful, to say the least. We've learned so much about these boys & every day we are learning more...

Here are some fun facts:

J ( just turned 2) loves to play ball. ANY kind of ball... but, specifically baseball. He also loves airplanes & helicopters. He has eyelashes that will allow him to get away with anything for the rest of his life. His eyes are blue and gorgeous & his little baby laugh will instantly melt you. That, my friends, is a promise. He loves milk & goes through about a gallon every 2 days. I'm serious. He could care less about television, but loves to scroll through my pictures on my iphone.

T (3 and a half) loves small things that he can hold in his hand (trains, cars, etc). He can eat as much food as a grown man & he will do it on his own schedule. He marches to his own beat. He LOVES the show Super Why. He's a man of few words and only talks when he feels like he needs to. I like that about him. <3 He's got perfect hair - shiny & always falls perfectly. His smile is absolutely beautiful & his big blue eyes will take him very very far in life.

C (4, will be 5 in April) loves tractors, farms, the color blue & animals. He spends the majority of his day playing outside or asking to go outside. He's very inquisitive and asks no less than 400 questions a day. :) He's SUPER smart & never misses anything. He's got dark brown hair & pretty hazel eyes. He's so sweet and affectionate and every time we go outside to play, he makes sure to give me a flower. He always compliments my hair & he loves it when his hair is brushed. He likes his closet full of clothes & he loves to ride "bikes" (tricycles).

I have been blessed beyond measure. I wish I had more words, but honestly I am trying to take it in myself.

Thank you so much for your prayers and to everyone that has been so gracious to our family. We love you all so much & wouldn't even know where to begin to say thankyou!!

Each and every one of your prayers have been felt in this house! Please keep them coming as I know that this transition is far from over.

Pray for healing for their precious little hearts and for the Lord to give them peace that passes their understanding.

Again, thank you to all of my friends for everything! I am such a blessed girl!!












1 comment:

  1. I am crying! They're tears of sadness for what those sweet babies have had to endure in their short little lives and tears of happiness for all of you having found each other. God bless all of you and thank you for sharing your story with everyone. You will all remain in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete